1937 Cord 812 Cabriolet/1937 Bugatti Type 64 (combined)
Philip (spelled Phillip on concept art) is a mysterious character who appears in Cars: Mater-National Championship, he is very nice, but rather unconfident.
Cars: Mater-National Championship Edit
Philip appears in Radiator Springs Circuit where he usually places 3rd. In the cut scene, he is seen driving on the wrong side of the road. Lightning was about to give him a private driving lesson but Fred, Doc, and Barry join in and start a race. He later competes in Inside the Turkey, Canyon Run, and Race "N" Chase 5. He is not playable, although concept art of him can be unlocked in the Bonus Content.
World of Cars Storybook Edit
Philip appears in the story "Banged Up" where Doc Hudson finds him broken down and fixes him on the way to Radiator Springs after the 1954 wreck. Unlike most characters who were introduced in this book, he did not have a diecast release.
Philip is surprisingly painted exactly like Lightning, with a white "fin" design around his doors.
Philip is shown to be very friendly to the cars he sees in the cut scenes, and is highly unconfident, usually getting highly excited just for passing a single enemy, and usually will ask for a lesson if he is passed.
Philip doesn't have any notable abilities, but can usually be seen trying to learn abilities from others.
- He is noticably perfectly ressemblant to Fletcher (Same shape and tires, blue eyes) but is painted almost exactly like Lightning.
- Philip and Fred are the only two characters in the game who appear in road races, but not in any of the four Team Relays.
- A placeholder used before the actual Philip icon was created seems to depict Lightning, although it's file name suggests it was used for Philip.
- There is a common misinterpretation among the community that Philip and Yuri are "International Racers", but this is not true as they were not playable and did not appear in the handheld games. This likely happened because they were like the International Racers, exclusive to the second game.
- Philip's turning animations are glitched, his eyes will pass through the edge of his windshield and make him look as if he has no eyes.
- A time paradox occurs with Philip where Doc met him in 1954 and he was driving on the right side of the road perfectly, but 53 years later in the events of Mater-National, he is "visiting from England" and is just getting used to driving on the right side.